A multi-media project to reunite film fans, celebrate the wonder of cinema & raise money for MediCinema
The magic of the big screen hasn’t disappeared, it’s just been on pause.
Today, Cinema Showtime, an Indiegogo crowdfunding multi-media project designed to reunite film fans following the Coronavirus lockdown, has launched. They will be working in partnership with MediCinema, the charity that brings the magic of film to hospitals.
Cinema Showtime is a project that is looking forward to a time when restrictions are lifted further and we can start doing what we love again; going to the pictures. It is looking forward to a time when we can watch re-scheduled movies that we have been waiting to see for months on the big screen with our mates. The current guidelines suggest that we can expect to see cinemas reopen to the public on July 4th – perhaps that will be our own Independence Day.
What the Cinema Showtime project involves:
- Production and distribution of a free glossy magazine, written by film experts and packed with the ultimate preview of every movie being released between November 2020 and August 2021. This will include the latest release dates, info, features, interviews and more.
- Staging a one-off, live event in a prominent London venue called Cinema Showtime Live! that fans and contributors will be invited to attend. This will include a fan lottery with incredible prizes and money can’t buy merchandise and experiences.
- Creating an online site and newsletter that celebrates the return of cinema with up-to-the-minute news and info.
- Producing unique and exclusive merchandise to tie in with the event and film releases.
- 10% of all contributions and money raised will go to the charity MediCinema to assist with their work.
The teams behind Cinema Showtime; Creative Path Group Ltd, Strike Media Ltd and MyFilmClub, will be monitoring the latest Coronavirus guidelines to ensure that what is planned will be sensible and time sensitive. The first glossy magazine is currently scheduled for October, as this precedes a number of major rescheduled movie releases for November onwards. These include: No Time To Die, Black Widow, Soul, Free Guy, Peter Rabbit 2, Fast and the Furious 9, Top Gun Maverick, Coming 2 America 2, The Tomorrow War, Venom 2 and many more.
MediCinema is a registered UK charity which builds and runs state-of-the-art cinemas in NHS hospitals which accommodate beds and medical equipment. They work to help improve patient wellbeing, resilience and recovery through the power of film and the shared cinema experience. Currently their cinemas are suspended, just like all regular cinemas across the country. Instead, they are providing a free movie channel for patients to access at their bedsides during the long periods of isolation that come with restricted visiting hours. We are raising money for them to keep these services running and to ensure their in-hospital cinemas can reopen when it is safe to do so.
Kat Mason, Chief Executive of MediCinema said: “We all miss being able to go out to see a film with friends and for our NHS patients who are more isolated than ever and not able visit our in-hospital cinemas, it is even harder. This is such a wonderful initiative. We are so grateful for Cinema Showtime’s support which will help ensure that our cinemas will re-open and that patients can once again have a break from the wards and their conditions to do what used to feel normal to all of us – to go and watch a great film.”