Eureka Entertainment is to release Hideo Gosha’s masterpiece, VIOLENT STREETS, one of the wildest, bloodiest, and most visually stunning Yakuza exploitation movies ever made. Presented as part of The Masters of Cinema Series in its worldwide debut on Blu-ray presented from a 2K restoration. Available from 20 February 2023, the first print-run of 2,000 copies will feature a Limited-Edition O-card Slipcase.
One of the finest directors of Japanese chambara (sword fighting) films, Hideo Gosha (Sword of the Beast, Three Outlaw Samurai) also directed a number of films in the yakuza genre. The most outstanding of these was Violent Streets; a baroque crime thriller about a retired yakuza who gets pulled into a violent gang war by his former associates.
A former yakuza member, Egawa is now a brooding world-weary nightclub owner. Some of his former associates are released from prison and want to regain a foothold in the criminal underworld by igniting a gang war between the local yakuza, and an out-of-town clan led by veteran actor Tetsurō Tanba.
A bold and colourful entry in the yakuza genre, Hideo Gosha’s Violent Streets makes its worldwide debut on Blu-ray from a new restoration completed by Toei Company, Ltd.
SPECIAL EDITION BLU-RAY FEATURES INCLUDES
- Limited Edition slipcase featuring new artwork by Tony Stella
- 1080p presentation on Blu-ray from a 2K restoration of the original film elements
- Optional English subtitles
- An introduction to Violent Streets and the works of director Hideo Gosha by film critic Tony Rayns
- Jasper Sharp on Violent Streets
- PLUS: A collector’s booklet featuring a new essay by Japanese cinema expert Tom Mes