Eureka Entertainment is to release Kinji Fukasaku’s samurai epic, THE FALL OF AKO CASTLE, a retelling of the classic story of the 47 ronin. Presented on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK, as part of The Masters of Cinema Series. Available from 4 December 2023, the first print run of 2000 copies will feature an O-card Slipcase.
Kinji Fukasaku (Battle Royale) brings together an ensemble cast, including two icons of Japanese cinema – Toshiro Mifune (Seven Samurai) and Sonny Chiba (The Street Fighter) – for this samurai epic, a retelling of the classic story of the 47 ronin.
When an injustice costs his master his life and estate, loyal retainer Ōishi vows revenge. Because the target of his vengeance is protected by the ruling shōgunate, any retaliation would be seen as an act of treason. Ōishi assembles the remaining ranks of the now-masterless samurai and the 47 of them pledge a blood oath to avenge their slain lord. Tensions rise among the ranks of the ronin eager to launch the mission, as Ōishi bides his time awaiting the right time to strike. Enemy spies and assassins track Ōishi, who has seemingly fallen into vice; has he lost his sense of honour, or is it just a part of his plan?
The Fall of Ako Castle offers a moving tale of loyalty, betrayal, and sacrifice where classical history explodes into brutal samurai carnage. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present Fukasaku’s retelling of one of Japan’s most resonant historical events.
SPECIAL EDITION BLU-RAY FEATURES:
- Limited edition O-Card slipcase featuring new artwork by Chris Malbon
- Presented in 1080p HD from a restoration of the original film elements by Toei
- Uncompressed original Japanese Mono audio
- Optional English subtitles
- New audio commentary by critic Tom Mes
- New interview with asian film expert Tony Rayns
- New video essay by author and critic Jasper Sharp
- Reversible sleeve featuring original poster artwork
- PLUS: A collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Jonathan Clements