To celebrate the upcoming release of the film SONIC THE HEDGEHOG, Paramount Pictures has partnered with Snapchat to bring London’s Tower Bridge, the Natural History Museum and several other popular sites across the globe to life through its augmented reality (AR) Landmarker Lens.
Based on the global blockbuster videogame franchise from Sega, SONIC THE HEDGEHOG tells the story of the world’s speediest hedgehog as he embraces his new home on Earth. In this live-action adventure comedy, Sonic and his new best friend Tom team up to defend the planet from the evil genius Dr. Robotnik and his plans for world domination.
As the importance of friendship is a key theme in the movie and Snapchatters will be able to join Sonic on his quest to save the world while seeing world famous sites come to life thanks to the magic of AR.
- In London, for the first time Tower Bridge has been transformed into a Snapchat Landmarker. Through a gamified AR Lens, Snapchatters will be tasked to gather as many golden rings as possible, before Sonic magically appears on the world famous bridge.
- Sonic will also make an appearance at London’s Natural History Museum, and then will continue his adventure on the Eiffel Tower in Paris, the Brandenburg Gate in Germany; The Flatiron Building in New York; and the Chinese Theatre in Los Angeles.
“This collaboration really captures the theme of friendship that is at the heart of this movie, and we are thrilled this campaign marks the first time Tower Bridge has been transformed into a Snapchat Landmarker,” says Mary Daily, Paramount’s Co-President of Worldwide Marketing and Distribution. “As a platform, Snapchat is founded on the idea of creating and sharing with your friends, and it’s exciting that Sonic is able to share his global adventures directly with Snapchatters around the world.”
- Snapchat’s Landmarker Lenses are live now at Tower Bridge and the Natural History Museum. The campaign will also run in France, Germany, Egypt, UAE and the US in the coming days.
- Here’s how the experience works: when Snapchatters are near any of the landmarks, there will be a Sonic icon in their Lens carousel. When they select the Sonic icon, the screen will tell the Snapchatter to find the Landmark. As Snapchatters point their phone’s camera at the Landmark, they can watch as it transforms before their eyes.
- Snapchatters outside of those cities can check out a gamified-Lens that will allow them to transport themselves into Sonic’s world adventure and will also be able to swipe-up to book tickets or watch a video.