Eureka Entertainment is to release THE DEAD AND THE DEADLY, the acclaimed kung-fu comedy directed by Wu Ma and co-starring Sammo Hung. On home video for the first time ever in the UK as a part of the Eureka Classics range, presented on Blu-ray from a brand new 2K restoration. Available from 21 November 2022, the first print-run of 2,000 copies will feature a Limited-Edition O-card Slipcase & Collector’s Booklet.
Criminally unseen in the West, The Dead and the Deadly is a horror-action-comedy-special effects extravaganza in the in the same vein as Mr. Vampire and Encounters of the Spooky Kind. Directed by Wu Ma (one of Hong Kong cinema’s most beloved multi-hyphenates; over a 50-year career he was hugely successful in writing, directing, producing, and acting) in perhaps his best directorial effort, and also starring Sammo Hung – The Dead and the Deadly is a must-see for both horror and action fans.
Wu Ma also stars as a man who fakes his death in order to steal his family’s funeral treasure. When the treasure is instead bequeathed to Ma’s unborn son, his co-conspirators kill him (for real this time). His vengeful spirit seeks out the help of his friend (played by Sammo Hung) and together they seek revenge on his murderers.
Also starring Lam Ching-Ying (as a Taoist priest, foreshadowing his future role in Mr. Vampire) and Cherie Chung, The Dead and the Deadly comes to home video for the first time ever in the UK from a brand new 2K restoration!
SPECIAL EDITION BLU-RAY FEATURES
- Limited Edition O-Card Slipcase (First print-run of 2,000 copies only)
- Original Cantonese mono audio
- Optional English dubbed audio
- Optional English Subtitles, newly translated for this release
- New feature length audio commentary by Asian film experts Frank Djeng (NY Asian Film Festival) & Michael Worth
- New feature length audio commentary by action cinema experts Mike Leeder & Arne Venema
- Archival interview and audience Q&A with Sammo Hung, filmed in 2016 at the Udine Far East Film Festival
- Original Hong Kong theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A Limited-Edition Collector’s Booklet featuring new writing by James Oliver