Eureka Entertainment is to release Johnnie To’s RUNNING OUT OF TIME 1 & 2; two slickly made cat-and-mouse thrillers, and starring Andy Lau, Lan Ching-wan and Ekin Cheng; scanned and restored in 2K and available for the first time on Blu-ray in the UK as part of The Masters of Cinema Series from 25 July 2022. The first print-run of 2,000 copies will feature a Limited-Edition O-card Slipcase.
Acclaimed director Johnnie To helms this visually dazzling and nail-bitingly intense action thriller that became one of Hong Kong’s biggest box office hits, Running Out of Time.
Told by his doctor that he has only 2 weeks to live, Cheung Wah (Andy Lau, who won the Best Actor award at the 2000 Hong Kong Film Awards for his role) decides to take on the entire police force. After crossing paths with Inspector Ho Sheung Sang (Lan Ching-wan)—a cool, analytical police negotiator—Wah challenges the inspector to figure out his plan and catch him in the next 72 hours.
Also included is director To’s sequel, Running Out of Time 2. Lan Ching-wan reprises his role as Inspector Ho, this time chasing an elusive thief with a taste for the theatrical.
SPECIAL TWO DISC BLU-RAY EDITION CONTAINS
- Limited Edition slipcase featuring new artwork by Grégory Sacré (Gokaiju) [First print-run of 2,000 copies only]
- 1080p presentation of both films, scanned and restored in 2K, across two Blu-ray discs
- Cantonese and English audio options
- Optional English subtitles, newly revised for this release
- Brand new audio commentary tracks on both films by Asian film expert Frank Djeng (NY Asian Film Festival)
- Audio Commentary on Running Out of Time by writers Laurent Cortiaud and Julien Carbon, moderated by Hong Kong Film expert Stefan Hammond
- Archival interview with director Johnnie To
- Archival interview with Lau Ching Wan
- Archival interview with Raymond Wong
- Hong Kong Stories [51 mins] – extensive documentary
- The Directors’ Overview of Carbon and Courtiaud – featurette
- Making of Running Out of Time 2 – featurette
- PLUS: A collector’s booklet featuring new writing on both films