Eureka Entertainment is to release BLACK MASK, a dazzling and explosive martial arts extravaganza starring Jet Li, presented on Blu-ray FULLY UNCUT from a new 2K restoration. Available from 22 April 2024 in the UK (Blu-ray debut), and from 23 April 2024 in North America (uncut for the first time on Blu-ray). Released as part of the Eureka Classics range in a LIMITED EDITION set (2000 copies only per territory). The set will feature an O-card slipcase, collector’s booklet PLUS a BONUS DISC featuring an alternate Taiwanese cut and an extended version of the film.
Jet Li stars in an action-packed superhero spectacle produced by the legendary Tsui Hark!
Tsui Chik is a librarian who leads a quiet, unassuming life – or, at least, that’s what he wants people to believe. In truth, he was once a member of the 701 Squad, a group of elite combatants produced by a failed super-soldier project. In kind with his former comrades, his central nervous system has been altered to render him impervious to pain. When several of his fellow test subjects resurface and embark on a crimewave under the leadership of their former commander Hung Kuk, Tsui is forced to use his extraordinary abilities once more. Donning a costume, he sets out to face his past – as the vigilante known as the Black Mask.
Adapted from the manhua by Pang Chi-ming and Li Chi-tak and heavily influenced by Bruce Lee’s turn as Kato in The Green Hornet, Black Mask is one of the most entertaining movies in Jet Li’s filmography and boasts action orchestrated by Yuen Woo-ping, who would later win an Academy Award for his work on Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Eureka Classics is proud to present the film in its rarely seen uncut version on Blu-ray from a 2K restoration!
LIMITED EDITION TWO-DISC BLU-RAY SET FEATURES:
- Limited Edition of 2,000 copies only
- O-card slipcase featuring new artwork by Grégory Sacré (Gokaiju)
- Limited Edition bonus disc featuring an extended version of the film
- PLUS: A Limited-edition collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by James Oliver
- Fully uncut Hong Kong version presented in 1080p from a 2K restoration
- Original US version presented in 1080p from a 2K restoration | Original Cantonese Stereo and optional DTS-HD MA 5.1 (Hong Kong Version)
- Optional English subtitles, newly translated for this release
- Brand new audio commentary on the Hong Kong version by Asian film expert Frank Djeng (NY Asian Film Festival)
- Brand new audio commentary on the US export version by action cinema experts Mike Leeder and Arne Venema
- Brand new interview with stuntman Mike Lambert
- Brand new interview with film critic Andrew Heskins (easternKicks.com)
- Brand new interview with Leon Hunt, author of Kung Fu Cult Masters: From Bruce Lee to Crouching Tiger
- Reversible sleeve featuring original poster artwork
- Archival Making of featurette
DISC TWO (LIMITED EDITION BONUS DISC)
- Alternate Taiwanese cut of the film
- Extended version of Black Mask featuring all the unique footage from the various releases of the film re-inserted