Samuel Fuller’s white-knuckle Cold War thriller starring Richard Widmark
Eureka Entertainment is to release HELL AND HIGH WATER; Samuel Fuller’s Cold War submarine adventure starring Richard Widmark; presented on Blu-ray from a stunning 4K restoration, as a part of The Masters of Cinema Series. Available from 7 December 2020, the release will be limited to 1,000 copies only.
“In the summer of 1953, it was announced that an atomic bomb of foreign origin had been exploded somewhere outside of the United States… This is the story of that explosion.” Starting with a nuclear explosion and only escalating from there (Fuller was a master of the opening scene – “If a story doesn’t give you a hard-on in the first couple of scenes, throw it in the goddamn garbage.”), Hell and High Water is a white-knuckle Cold War thriller that would have a huge influence on the future of blockbuster cinema (Steven Spielberg was so enamoured with the film that he kept a print in his car for many years).
When military intelligence suggests a secret atomic base is being covertly set-up on an island near Japan, former US Navy commander Adam Jones is sent on a covert mission to prevent a nuclear attack that could trigger World War 3.
The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present Samuel Fuller’s Hell and High Water on Blu-ray from a stunning 4K restoration.
SPECIAL BLU-RAY EDITION CONTAINS
- 1080p presentation on Blu-ray from Fox’s 2K restoration.
- Original, uncompressed, monaural soundtrack
- Optional English SDH
- Audio commentary with Film Historians Julie Kirgo and Nick Redman
- Audio commentary with Film historians Alain Silver and James Ursini
- Fuller at Fox – a video essay by David Cairns looking at Samuel Fuller’s films produced for Twentieth Century Fox.
- Original theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A collector’s booklet featuring an essay by film critic Richard Combs and the words of Samuel Fuller.