A congregation of art inspired by BB-8 from Star Wars: The Force Awakens and designed by stars of the film and British celebrities, descended on London ahead of an exhibition opening tomorrow to coincide with the Blu-ray and DVD release of the film. The miniature BB-8 inspired models have been designed around the theme ‘Best of British’ by stars including Mark Hamill, John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Anthony Daniels, Warwick Davis, Simon Pegg, Jonathan Ross, Years and Years, Alex Brooker and Paddy McGuinness and are all part of a ‘Force for Change’ auction to raise funds for Great Ormond Street Hospital. The exhibition is open on Mortimer Street from Tuesday to Thursday this week.
Mark Hamill: “It might be in the heart of the Buckinghamshire countryside but Pinewood will always be a galaxy far, far away for me. Star Wars has an unparalleled legacy here in Britain and I’m delighted it contributes so much to the thriving film industry. My BB-8 brings to life the Pinewood exterior, clapper board and the ‘Now filming Episode VIII’ sign, which is what I’m doing right now.”
John Boyega: “My BB-8 is based on my Stormtrooper, FN2187, merging the light and dark side, much like Finn’s own journey in The Force Awakens. Having spent so much time with the incredible BB-8 making the film I was intrigued what an amalgamation of the droid and my own Stormtrooper would look like. It is unmistakably based on FN2187 because of the three red blood marks, which represent the point in the film Finn first shows his human side.“
Warwick Davis: “With this exhibition taking place on the week of The Queen’s landmark 90th birthday, my BB-8 is a tribute to Her Majesty and all she has done for Great Britain during her reign. With its body sprayed a powerful gold to represent the crown jewels, the circular panels bring to life the royal crest, EIIR symbol and the Union flag. I could imagine this BB-8 being the Queen’s loyal servant for the day.”
Celeb BB-8s featured in shot:
- Mark Hamill’s Pinewood Studios inspired BB-8.
- Alex Brookers’ Arsenal FC inspired BB-8.
- GREAT Britain BB-8 designed by government’s GREAT Campaign.
- Years and Years BB-8, designed around their debut album artwork.
- Watford FC signed BB-8, designed by Great Ormond Street Hopsital patient Ossie, 10.
- Simon Pegg’s Cavern era Beatles inspired BB-8.
- Union flag BB-8 designed by the government’s GREAT campaign.
- Punk themed BB-8 designed by Jonathan Ross, based on Simon Reid’s Sex Pistols album art.
- Nicola Adams’ Olympic boxing themed BB-8.
- Paddy McGuinness’ BB-8 inspired by British rock icon Freddie Mercury
- Alfie Boe’s Peter Pan/JM Barrie inspired BB-8.
- Anthony Daniels’ BB-8 celebrating his much loved character C-3PO