The feature length documentary explores the world of the Russian Avant-Garde art movement through this turbulent time in history. Bringing to life some of the most prominent voices of this time with a number of incredible performances from an amazing cast including Matthew Macfadyen (Ripper Street, Pride & Prejudice); Tom Hollander (The Night Manager); Eleanor Tomlinson (Poldark, Jack The Giant Slayer, The Illusionist) & James Fleet (Mr Turner, Four Weddings and a Funeral). Featuring over 20 minutes of previously unseen footage the DVD allows you to dive deeper into the revolution than ever before, hearing from experts and curators from across Russia.
DVD Extras – Previously Unseen Footage:
- Film Trailer
- Avant-Garde Architecture. Interview with Christina Lodder (Vice President, Malevich Society).
- The People’s Museum. Interview with Dimitri Ozerkov (Head of Contemporary Art, State Hermitage Museum).
- ‘Storming’ The Winter Palace. Interview with Mikhail Piotrovsky (Director, State Hermitage Museum).
- Women Artists. Interview with Zelfira Tregulova (Director, State Tretyakov Gallery).
- Malevich. Interview with Evgenia Petrova (Deputy Director, State Russian Museum)
- Throwing The Stone. Biomechanic Etude.
- Lenin In Smolny. Interview with Irina Pronina (Curator of Painting, State Tretyakov Gallery).
- Drevin and Udaltsova. Interview with Tatiana Zelyukina (Curator of Painting, State Tretyakov Gallery)
- Gulag. Interview with Anne Applebaum (Historian).
- The Curse of Stalin’s Wreath. Interview with Nina Suetina (Daughter of Nikolai Suetin).
- Punin. Interview with Natalia Murray (Biographer of Nikolai Punin).
Revolution: New Art for a New World is a bold and exciting feature documentary that encapsulates a momentous period in the history of Russia and the Russian Avant-Garde. Drawing on the collections of major Russian institutions, contributions from contemporary artists, curators and performers and personal testimony from the descendants of those involved, the film brings the artists of the Russian Avant-Garde to life. It tells the stories of artists like Chagall, Kandinsky and Malevich – pioneers who flourished in response to the challenge of building a new art for a new world, only to be broken by implacable authority after 15 short years and silenced by Stalin’s Socialist Realism. Yet these remarkable artworks survived and the Russian Avant-Garde continues to exert an influence over contemporary art movements. Revolution: New Art for a New World confirms this; exploring the fascination that these colourful paintings, inventive sculptures and propaganda posters retain over the modern consciousness 100 years on.
REVOLUTION: NEW ART FOR A NEW WORLD aired in the BBC’s Russian Revolution Season this November and is now available on DVD